Be ready for the 2020-2021 school year! All returning Hamilton scholars are encouraged to complete summer homework.
Hamilton Husky Summer Reading Challenge
Summer Reading Overview:
Over the summer, we strongly encourage you to read on a daily basis. Not only is reading relaxing, but it also prevents the “summer slide” of students losing ground on their reading skills.
We ask you to choose at least three books that you have not already read. Additionally, you are asked to complete a Book Completion Form for two of the three books (download the form here). This assignment is due Monday, August 24, 2020.
Students who complete this assignment will receive extra credit from their new Language Arts teacher.
Below are some suggested titles, but please feel free to research and choose your own books! You will also find information/ resources in order to access e-books for free.
In addition, more prizes will be awarded to the top ten readers in the entire school! Can you read the most books over the summer? Continue filling out the book completion forms for each book you read. A parent/guardian will need to sign off on each book you read in order for it to count. Turn in all your forms to your new literacy teacher by Monday, August 24!
Middle School Book Recommendations
(You are Not required to read these books, but you might enjoy them! – Feel free to check out recommendations for other grade levels!)
Top 10 Recommendations for 6th Grade:
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Pax by Sara Pennypacker
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- I am Malala by Christina Lamb
- Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Top 10 Recommendations for 7th Grade:
- A Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
- A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
- Dear Martin– by Nic Stone
- Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel
- House Arrest by K.A. Holt
- A Monster Calls: Inspired by an idea from Siobhan Dowd by Patrick Ness (Author)
- Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Top 9 Recommendations for 8th Grade:
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
- Anything but Ordinary by Lara Avery
- Paper Towns by John Green
- The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
- The Legend trilogy (Legend, Champion, Prodigy) by Marie Lu
- Twisted Laurie Halse Anderson
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Find even more good books here!
Where to find FREE books for Summer Reading!
- Sora — Free e-books and audiobooks through the school district! Including books in Spanish & Arabic!
or download the Sora app. Choose “Denver Public Schools” as your school